Why buy the best DVD player when you can watch series and movies via a cable subscription?
The heart of a home’s entertainment system, a DVD player offers viewers a chance to escape from reality and simply unwind in the comforts of their home. With highly advanced imagery, the right DVD player can be your bridge to a full cinematic experience. Plus, it can give you unlimited access to a range of HD movies that you and your family can genuinely enjoy.
However, DVD players have greatly evolved since their release in the 90’s. Not only are they jam-packed with new high-end features, but each model also has a variety of unique functions, making it difficult for consumers to decide on the DVD set they should purchase.
Whether you are in the market for a DVD player for household or commercial use, we have gathered up some of the best and the most functional models for your specific needs.
10 Best DVD Player Reviews & Analysis
Here are top 10 dvd player reviews which cover features, pros and cons for all the products.
10. Best For Smart Homes
As the name suggests, the Sony DVP-FX980 9-Inch Portable DVD Player enables you to enjoy your favorite movies and shows while you are on the go. Whether you are in your home or in your car, you can conveniently plug in the adaptor and tune in to sharp and crisp images and videos, thanks to its high-end features.
Plus, if you left your adaptor, you can always rely on its rechargeable battery to keep you entertained for up to 4 hours—that’s basically more than enough time to watch 2 movies and 4 television series.
In addition to the 9-inch wide LCD that gives you a full HD view of photos and movies, this portable DVD player also offers you access to sound controls so you can further enhance your viewing experience. If you prefer using headphones, you just have to plug your device on its built-in headphone jack. Efficient and highly innovative, this DVD player can supersede your expectations.
9. Most Versatile DVD Player
The Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD Player DVD-S500 can add color to your home entertainment system as it delivers highly detailed videos and photos. With this unit, you won’t only be able to fully enjoy realistic imageries, but you can also expect superior quality audio, thanks to Dolby Digital.
Additionally, the DVD-S500 features a USB slot, so you can readily view your files on the big screen. Compatible for CDs and DVDs, it was designed to meet your need for a budget-friendly basic DVD player.
8. Pocket Friendly DVD Player
Compact, easy-to-use and budget-friendly, the Panasonic DVD Player DVD-S700 is jam-packed with features other basic players can only dream of. Aside from playing back CDs and DVDs, it also reads USB content so you can view your stored movies and videos.
Aside from its versatility, it can also convert standard quality movies so you can view them in HD. With this advanced feature, you can now enjoy life-like images without breaking the bank. Not to mention, it was also designed with Dolby Digital surround sound so you can optimize your listening experience. With the Panasonic DVD Player DVD-S700, realistic sounds and images are just a click away.
7. Best Usability & Streaming Features
Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder
Preserving your most treasurable moments is now a lot easier, thanks to Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder. Made with high-end features, this recorder can effortlessly convert your VHS family movies into compact DVDs. Now, you can easily clean your storage and make more room for valuable items in your home.
More than converting your old videos and movies, this model also comes with video, audio and still picture playback options so you can enhance your viewing experience. With this amazing product, you can now convert and upgrade your important videos and movies to HD quality. Indeed, creating your own DVD library is never next to impossible with the Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder.
- Line-in Recording: Whether you are using a satellite box or a cable line, you can rely on the Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder to help you create your own DVD library.
- HDMI Output: This recorder has a built-in HDMI output so you don’t have to worry about wiring and issues with cable connections. Most importantly, HDMI cables allow you to upgrade the quality of your videos and movies from SD to 1080p HD quality.
- One-Touch Recording: Aesthetically designed to enhance user convenience, this recorder has an accessible dubbing button that enables you to do two-way dubbing. Its one-touch recording function allows you to effortlessly convert VCRs to DVDs, and vice versa.
- Extended Recording Hours: With the help of this recorder, you can convert videos and record important family movies for up to 8 hours.
- 1080p Up-Conversion: Ideal for HDTV, the Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder upgrades the quality of your videos via HDMI.
- User Convenience: With its one-touch recording function, you can easily convert VCRs to DVDs, and vice versa.
- Quality Upgradation: The Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder does not stop at converting videos and movies as it also upgrades the quality of your files by the use of HDMI.
- Superb Sound Quality: Designed with Dolby Digital stream out feature, you are guaranteed high quality sounds as you record your videos and movies.
- Easy to Set-Up: Because of its line-in recording and HDMI output, you won’t have to deal with problems related to setting up this device.
- Budget-Friendly: Jam-packed with high-end features, this recorder will give you more than your money’s worth.
- No External Tuner for TV Recording: While this device can easily convert VCRs to DVDs, you need to purchase an external tuner if you intend to use it for TV recording.
With the help of the Funai Combination VCR and DVD Recorder, breathing new life to old, wonderful memories is just a heartbeat away. Perfect for people who love recording family events and upgrading the quality of their videos and movies, this device has all the features you are looking for in a recorder.
6. Most Valuable DVD Player
Panasonic DVD-S700 HDMI 1080P
The Panasonic DVD-S700 was engineered to breathe new life to your integrated home entertainment system. Since it has a 1080p up-conversion region code zone free function, it can transfigure standard photos and videos into HD quality images. To guarantee you maximum resolution, it was also designed with an HDMI output so you can view nothing but clear and high detailed images.
Furthermore, you do not need to worry about compatibility issues as this device has a built-in 3-way converter (PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL). In addition to these incomparable features, you can also enjoy realistic and high quality sounds, thanks to Dolby Digital.
- Region Code Zone Free: It features an HDMI 1080P Up-Converting Region Code Free 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 PAL NTSC function and a 3-way converter so you won’t have to deal with issues related to TV compatibility.
- HDMI 1080P Up-Converting Function: The Panasonic DVD-S700 upgrades standard images so you can view clear and sharper videos and movies.
- Multi-Format Friendly: Known for its versatility, it can play back any CD or DVD.
- USB Connectivity: Aside from being multi-media friendly, it is also designed with a USB output so you can view your stored images, videos and movies.
- Dolby Digital Sound: With Dolby Digital, you can enhance your listening experience as you watch DVDs and CDs.
- Compatibility: Because of its Region Code Zone Free function, you can connect to any television without dealing with compatibility issues.
- Quality Upgradation: The Panasonic DVD-S700 upgrades standard images so you can view videos, movies and photos in HD.
- Versatility: This DVD player is compatible with a variety of multimedia formats, so you can watch movies on CDs and DVDs. Also, you can insert a USB device so you can view personalized files.
- Budget-Friendly: The Panasonic DVD-S700 offers you a chance to watch videos and movies on a range of multimedia formats at a low price.
- Absence of SD Card Slot: While it is multi-functional and versatile, it does not have an SD card slot, so you have to use a USB device to access your personal videos and movies.
A flexible device that provides you a wide range of functions, the Panasonic DVD-S700 is a fairly-priced player that can offer you a one-of-a-kind viewing experience. Ideal for those who are contented with functions available in a basic player, this item can be one of your most valuable finds.
5. Most Lightweight DVD player
The Samsung DVD-D530 is a great addition to an integrated home entertainment system as it has numerous functions that can redefine your viewing experience. Not only does it enable you to seamlessly watch movies and videos, but it also emits lifelike sounds that can make you feel like you are in a movie house.
Featuring Dolby Digital sounds, this lightweight DVD player enhances the audibility of movies and clips to enhance user-convenience. Plus, it was designed to support high definition images and videos so you can fully enjoy the latest movies of your choice. Thanks to its 1080p up-conversion feature, clear and highly distinct images are always within your reach.
- 1080p Up-Conversion: Its 1080 Up-Conversion feature allows you to view standard quality images and videos in HD.
- HDMI: Through its HDMI capabilities, this DVD player can transmit high resolution data in uninterrupted streams.
- BD Wise Technology: Designed with the BD Wise technology, the Samsung DVD-D530 can communicate efficiently with Samsung televisions so you can fully manipulate your setting options and fine-tune your movie experience.
- Multi-Format Playback: The Samsung DVD-D530 allows you to playback movies and clips in a range of multimedia formats including CD-RW, CD-R, SVCD, VCD, MP3, DVD-/+RW and DVD-/+R.
- Defect Disc Recovery Solution: Even if your discs were accidentally scratched, you can enjoy crisp and high definition videos, movies and images, thanks to Samsung’s Defect Disc Recovery Solution.
- Quality Upgradation: With its 1080 Up-Conversion feature and HDMI capability, you can watch crisp, high definition videos and movies.
- High Quality Sounds: Designed with Dolby Digital sounds, you can listen to life-like sounds as you sit and comfortably watch your favorite movies at home.
- Slim and Lightweight: The slim and lightweight design of this device makes it an ultimate space saver.
- Budget-Friendly: Low in cost but jam-packed with innovative features, the Samsung DVD-D530 is truly a great find as it has more functions than other higher-end DVD players.
- No Recording Features: While the Samsung DVD-D530 was designed with superior features, it cannot be used for recording purposes.
If you enjoy watching HD movies and videos, the Samsung DVD-D530 is a perfect find as it has built-in features that can effortlessly upgrade the quality of standard movies. Light, compact and highly innovative, this DVD player proves to be a great addition to your home entertainment system.
4. Best For Serious Videophiles
Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan
Cost-efficient and user-friendly, the Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player is popular for its compatibility to a variety of multimedia formats. Designed to offer you the versatility you need in a basic player, it can play back a range of disc formats including DVD-RW1, DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD-R, CD, WMA, JPEG, MP3, MPEG, CD-R R/W and DVD+RW.
So if you are looking for a DVD player that can provide you unparalleled movie experience at a pocket-friendly price, the Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player should be included in your bucket list.
- DVD/JPEG/CD Playback: The DVD/JPEG/CD playback feature of this device enables you to control the movies and videos you are watching in just a few clicks.
- Progressive Scan: With a progressive scan feature, you can effortlessly watch videos and movies with resolutions as high as 480p and 576p.
- USB REC and Playback: With the Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player, you can easily copy CD-DA audio files and store them on a USB device. Not to mention, you can also playback stored files on your USB.
- Budget-Friendly: A budget-friendly, basic DVD player perfect for analog TV sets and small-medium sized LED HDTV, the Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player lets you unwind and enjoy your favorite movies without spending a fortune.
- Easy-to-Use: As a basic player, this device was designed with simple, easy-to-use controls.
- Versatile: While it is at the lower range of the price scale, this DVD player is compatible with numerous disc formats including DVD-RW1, DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD-R, CD, WMA, JPEG, MP3, MPEG, CD-R R/W and DVD+RW.
- Highly Efficient: Despite its price, this DVD player is highly efficient as it loads very quickly, and it operates silently.
- Slim and Lightweight: Slim and lightweight, the Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player can fit perfectly into any home as it does not take up a lot of space. Cons
- Limited High-End Features: Since it is a basic player, it does not have built-in high-end features that expensive players possess. However, if you are looking for a DVD player that delivers strong performance despite a couple of limitations, this device will perfectly suit your needs.
The Panasonic DVD-S48 Progressive Scan DVD Player may be not be as innovative as other modern multi-functional players, but its simplicity makes it a stiff competitor in the market. With a clean design and easy-to-use controls, both young and old consumers can easily manipulate and maximize its functions.
3. Best For Families
The ultimate combination player that fits almost all your entertainment needs, the Philips DVP3355V/F7 DVD/VCR Player is popular for its versatility. It promises you superb movie experience as it enables you to play VHS tapes and DVDs. So if you can’t stand leaving your VHS tape collection behind, this device was designed especially for you.
With optimum user-experience in mind, this model was engineered with Progressive Scan so you can view nothing but crystal clear, high quality images and videos. Plus, it is also equipped with Dolby Digital surround sound so you can enjoy maximum audibility. Flexible and user-friendly, this all-in-one player is a must for any household.
- Progressive Scan: Offering you maximum screen resolution, the Philips DVP3355V/F7 DVD/VCR Player was designed with Progressive Scan so you can enjoy clear and crisp images 24/7.
- Dolby Digital Stream Out: With Dolby Digital, you can optimize your listening experience as you watch your DVDs and VHS tapes.
- On-Screen Display Languages: This all-in-one player has an on-screen display language to guarantee user-convenience. The languages available on the player include English, Spanish and French.
- Hi-Fi Stereo VHS: The Philips DVP3355V/F7 DVD/VCR Player Hi-Fi Stereo VHS dramatically boosts audio playback.
- Flexible: A Hi-Fi cassette recorder and a DVD player in one, this DVD/VCR dual player allows you to play DVDs, video cassettes and CDs in just one device.
- Budget-Friendly: With the Philips DVP3355V/F7 DVD/VCR Player, you can get the versatility and functionality you need at a fair and reasonable price.
- High Quality Images: Created with a Progressive Scan, this dual player delivers images and videos at maximum resolution.
- Great Sound Quality: Since it has a Dolby Digital stream out feature, you are guaranteed a superb audio quality as you play your DVDs and VHS tapes.
- The absence of Coaxial Input & Output Connections: This device does not include coaxial input and output connections upon purchase. To send a VHS tape out to your television, you need to use RCA composite red, white and yellow cables.
Falling at the lower end of the price scale, the Philips DVP3355V/F7 DVD/VCR Player is an ideal investment for individuals who love playing DVDs and VHS tapes without burning a hole in their pocket. While it may not be an extremely sophisticated model, it provides you flexibility and user-convenience. With this dual player at hand, you don’t have to bid goodbye to your favorite movie collections.
2. Best Wi Fi Enabled DVD Player
Sony BDPS3700 Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player
A Wi-Fi enabled disc player, the Sony BDPS3700 allows you to seamlessly stream high definition videos and movies available on the Internet. Made with cutting-edge technology, this model does not stop at playing back Blu-ray discs as it offers you an extensive range of functions.
Not only was it designed with Wi-Fi capability and MIMO Technology, but it also has a screen mirroring feature that allows you to view the photos, videos and files stored on your mobile device right at your TV screen. This is in addition to the TV SideView app that enables you to take full control of your disc player with the use of your mobile phone. With Sony BDPS3700, who needs a remote control? Indeed, this superior technology is worth your every penny.
- Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD: The Sony BDPS3700 was designed with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to offer you premium quality surround sound.
- DLNA Home Sharing: With its DLNA Home Sharing feature, you can share multimedia content on supported devices within your area.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity and MIMO Technology: Seamlessly streaming videos and multimedia files is within your fingertips, thanks to this model’s boosted signal strength.
- TRILUMINOS Color Palette: Exclusively engineered for Sony, the TRILUMINOS color palette enhances the colors that come out of your TV screen so you can have a more realistic view of images, videos and movies.
- Connectivity: A Wi-Fi optimized disc player, the Sony BDPS3700 allows you to endlessly stream on multimedia files available on the Internet. Needless to say, you can now stay updated on the latest movies and music videos without turning on your desktop.
- Quality Upgradation: Whether you are watching a streamed content or a DVD, you can expect high quality images from this device as it upgrades standard movies to near-HD quality so you can enjoy crisp images.
- User Convenience: Unlike other devices, the Sony BDPS3700 can be full controlled via your mobile phone through your Wi-Fi connection.
- Child Lock System: While this unit offers you exquisite features that are not available on other products under its price range, a few previous consumers complain about its child lock system. However, once you read the manual thoroughly, you won’t encounter problems with this feature.
A highly innovative Blu-ray disc player that offers you convenience and access to countless features, the Sony BDPS3700 is an invaluable addition to an integrated entertainment system. If you love staying updated on the newest movies and music videos and you are looking for a highly functional disc player, you should never let this product slip away from your fingertips.
1. Simple Yet Highly Functional DVD Player
Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player
The Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player boasts superior features in a slim and compact design. Engineered with all the functions that low-end units lack, this DVD player proves that you do not have to spend a fortune just to experience premium quality entertainment.
Because of its 1080p upscaling feature and HDMI output, you can now enjoy clear and crisp images without going outside the comforts of your home. Additionally, this unit is popular for its energy efficiency. Awarded with an Energy Star Logo, you can seamlessly watch famous movies and clips without worrying about sky-rocketing electric bills.
- 1080p Up-Scaling: With its 1080p up-scaling feature, the Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player guarantees high quality imageries so you can get the most out of your movie experience.
- Multi-Format Playback: Its multi-format playback function allows you to play DVD-RW/+R/+R DL, CD-R/RW, AAC, JPEG, DVD-RW/-R/-R DL and MP3 files.
- Dolby Digital: Delivering up to 5.1 channel Dolby Digital surround sound, the Sony DVPSR510H offers you premium quality audio.
- Energy Star Logo: Awarded with an Energy Star Logo, this DVD player enables you to cut on your electricity bills as it is proven to be energy efficient and environmentally-friendly.
- Multi Disc Resume: The Sony DVPSR510H was programmed to remember resume points of 6 of your recently played discs so you can go back to watching your movies.
- Quality Upgradation: With its 1080p Up-Scaling function, you can effortlessly upgrade the quality of the movies and videos you watch.
- Energy Efficiency: Efficient and eco-friendly, this DVD player optimizes your viewing experience without taking a toll on your electricity bills.
- Versatile: The Sony DVPSR510H can playback a range of multimedia formats to guarantee you a hassle-free movie experience.
- Budget-Friendly: Falling at the lower end of the price scale, this DVD player has highly innovative features that make it a top contender in the market.
- Slim and Compact: The Sony DVPSR510H’s slim and compact design makes it convenient to use and easy to set up.
- Short Power Cord: The power cord is only around 3 1/2 feet, so it is crucial to position it near an outlet.
Despite its pocket-friendly price, the Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player offers you the efficiency you need in a player. The highly innovative features are housed by a slim and lightweight design, making it a top choice of individuals who love keeping their gadgets simple but highly functional.
Related Buyer’s Guides